WISCONSIN CHARTER SCHOOLS ATTORNEY
Kris Gotzmer is a strong advocate for the establishment of charter schools in Wisconsin. Charter schools are public, nonsectarian schools created through a contract agreement or "charter" between the school's governance board and the sponsoring school board or another chartering authority. Wisconsin charter school law gives charter schools freedom from most state rules and regulations in exchange for greater accountability for results. The charter contract defines the missions, teaching methods and operations of the charter school. The chartering authority holds the school accountable to its charter.
STATEWIDE CHARTER SCHOOL PRACTICE
Kris Gotzmer is involved with charter schools at various levels ranging from helping schools obtain and school charters to the formation of the non-profit organization that will be operating the charter school, to buying, selling, leasing, financing or constructing school buildings. He represents the charter schools, nonprofits, parent groups and individuals in matters related to charter schools.
CHARTER SCHOOL ISSUES – START-UP, OPERATIONS, WINDING-UP AND DISSOLUTIONS
Kris Gotzmer's charter school practice is statewide. Kris has represented clients with a variety of matters related to:
- Applying for charters to allow for the operation of charter schools
- Development of governance structure for charter schools
- Drafting and negotiating amendments of charter contracts
- Preparing and filing articles of incorporation, bylaws, and other organizational documents
- Leasing, purchasing and selling real estate facilities for charter schools
- Advising on taxation, financing and bonding issues
- Negotiating operating and service agreements and contracts for charter schools
- Obtaining public funding for development or expansion of charter schools
- Serving as liaison to state educational departments
- Dissolution and winding-up of charter schools, including the sale of assets and real estate